The Idaho Military Historical Society answers numerous requests by patrons for various types of information related to Idaho’s military history every day. If you are not able to visit the library and archives to conduct your own research, our staff may be able to assist you. A photocopier is available; however if you are not able to make the copies yourself, our staff will make them for you on a first come first served basis. This includes off-site queries received via telephone, e-mail, fax, or U.S. Postal Service.
Any requests requiring international postage will be charged the applicable postage for that country based on the US Postal Services webpage. Upon request, staff can provide a list of local researchers experienced in either historical or genealogical research who can be hired to assist with longer research projects.
We reserve the right to restrict copying of material which may be damaged by the photocopying process or carries donor-imposed restrictions. The user is responsible for copyright compliance.
Our staff is happy to help with questions whether by telephone, e-mail, fax, or regular mail. When sending a query, please keep in mind the following:
- Queries will be answered in the order received regardless of the format in which they arrive. Depending on the number of requests received at any given time, it may take three to six weeks to prepare an answer.
- If your request is for photographs from our archives, please contact us a few days in advance of your stopping by. This way, we can make sure we have the photographs you are requesting. Most of our staff is comprised of volunteers.
- INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND MAILING ADDRESS so we can send the photocopies, brochures, and other information that you have requested. Your phone number or e-mail address is also helpful, in case there are questions about your query.
- MAKE YOUR REQUEST AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE. This will enable us to reply to you sooner.
- Charges for each inquiry must be paid in full.