The Idaho Military Historical Society was founded in 1993 by a group of volunteers with an interest in Idaho military history. The purpose of the Idaho Military Historical Society was to establish an Idaho military history museum for the general public. The Idaho Military Historical Society founded the Idaho Military History Museum, opening September 4, 1995.
The Idaho Military Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, which operates the Idaho Military History Museum. The organization has a close relationship with the Idaho Military Division and serves as its historical despot, but includes exhibits from every military branch and major U.S. conflict since Idaho became a state in 1891. Our mission is to provide for the preservation, display and interpretation of military history and artifacts that have geographical, cultural or historical ties to the history of the people and State of Idaho.
Idaho’s citizens have a rich military history. Besides the battles with indigenous Native Americans that established the modern state, individual Idahoans have served their state and nation in the active forces, reserves and National Guard. Idaho Reserve and National Guard units have been called to duty for every major military conflict since the Spanish American War in 1898. As a Society member, you can help us preserve this rich heritage. Members and volunteers are helping the Society with its historical programs which include:
- Collecting, preserving, and displaying artifacts and documents
- Providing military history education programs
- Museum and archives operation
- Conducting oral histories
- As a member, you will receive Pass in Review, our quarterly newsletter
- As a member, you will also receive advance announcements of field trips, meetings, exhibit openings and other special events or benefits
- The Society sponsors membership meetings with special speakers, technical consultants and professional historians. As a member, you will be invited to attend and participate in these various programs and events
- You will have the satisfaction of knowing you’re directly supporting the preservation of Idaho Military History for future generations
- You will be a part of a growing, dynamic organization
Please Note: all memberships are for the calendar year, expiring on December 31. (If joining in October, November, or December, expiration will be December 31 of the following year.)
Board of Directors:
President: Rick Johnson
Vice-President: Robert Taylor
Secretary: Jeannette Duvall-Ward
Treasure: Gary Donnelly
Board members: Ken Swanson, Russell Trebby, Jonathon Wood.
Staff: Jeff Packer, Mischa Brady.
Donations are tax deductible: The Idaho Military Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization; donations for membership dues and contributions are tax deductible.
Please send your gifts to:
Idaho Military Historical Society
4040 W. Guard Street
Boise, ID 83705-5004